Some patients develop severely loose skin of the upper arms due to significant weight loss or aging. This loose skin is sometimes referred to as “bat wings” and can result in feeling insecure and potentially causing discomfort for those living with it. Removing the excess skin along the inner aspect of the arm, from just above the elbow extending into the axilla (“armpit”), via an arm lift can treat this problem. This surgical procedure usually takes between two and three hours with a recuperation time of one to two weeks. For more information about Brachioplasty, visit our blog.
“I always wanted to be a physician because I wanted to help people. Plastic surgery gives me the ability to help people in very positive ways.”
This is a procedure limited to an excision just in the axilla (armpit) . Indications– Performed to eliminate a minor amount of excess fat and skin. This is best in the individual with some laxity in the proximal upper arm closest to the axilla (armpit). This can usually be combined safely with liposuction of the remaining arm as well. Disadvantages– It will not treat laxity further down the arm.
This is a procedure that is performed for excision of excess skin and fat from the elbow to the upper arm, often due to significant weight loss. The incision can be placed along the inner arm surface (medially) or along the back (posterior) of the arm. Usually, liposuction is not performed at the same time because of delayed healing risks. Indications– For laxity of skin and treatment of excess fat of the upper arm from elbow to axilla (armpit). Disadvantages– It does not treat laxity along the lateral chest, but limits the incision to inner arm only in most cases.
Extended Full Brachioplasty
This is a procedure that is performed for excision of excess skin and fat of the arm and lateral chest extending from the elbow to the axilla (armpit), and then across the lateral side of the chest to remove redundant tissue. Liposuction of this area is usually not performed at the same time because of delayed healing risks. This is more common for patients with massive weight loss. Indications – For laxity of skin and treatment of fat from the elbow up through the armpit and extending onto the lateral chest. Disadvantages– Longer incision from elbow through armpit extending onto lateral chest but gives improved contour of armpit and lateral chest as well.
Recovery time will differ depending on the extent of your arm lift. However, patients should expect to take 1-2 weeks off work to recover. Patients should be up and walking the day after surgery, which is a great way to prevent blood clots in the legs. Patients should sleep with their arms elevated on pillows for the first two weeks to reduce swelling. For the first six weeks scars will be firm and pink, and lighten in color after 9-12 months.
If you would like more information about New York City Plastic Surgeon Dr. Wallach and his success with New York City Brachioplasty procedures, we hope that you will not hesitate to contact our Manhattan offices at (212) 257-3263 or by mail at 1049 5th Avenue, Suite 2D in New York, NY 10028; or using our contact form to request additional details.
BODY PROCEDURE VIDEOS
- Liposuction Improve My Contour If I Am Obese
- Fat Accumulate In Areas Not Liposuctioned
- Fat Grow Back After Liposuction
- Fat Removed During Liposuction Be Used For Augmentation
- Common Liposuction Techniques
- Fat Can Be Removed During Liposuction
- Tummy Tuck and Liposuction
- Tummy Tuck Or An Abdominoplasty
- Mini-Tummy Tuck
- Mini-Tummy Tuck Instead Of a Full Tummy Tuck
- Body Lift
- Candidate For A Body Lift
- Body Lift Improve The Appearance of the Mons Pubis
- Upper Body Lift
- Recovery like after liposuction
- Ultrasonic liposuction
- Tummy tuck or liposuction
- Best liposuction technique
- Umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as my tummy tuck
- Recovery like after a tummy tuck
- Wear a special garment after liposuction
- Combine a tummy tuck with other plastic surgery procedures
- Liposuction under local anesthesia
- Liposuction fat be stored and then used another time
- Tumescent Liposuction
- Freeze Fat from Liposuction
- Tummy Tuck at the Same Time as a Brazilian Butt Lift
- Tummy Tuck Or Liposuction
- Liposuction Under Local Anesthesia
- Best Technqiue For Liposuction