Tummy Tuck in Manhattan: Maintaining a Flat and Firm Abdomen
Despite weight control and regular exercise, some people just can’t get the abdomen that they want. Thus they resort to abdominoplasty or tummy tuck. Here at our Manhattan plastic surgery practice, Dr. Wallach performs abdominoplasty to give patients a flat and firm abdomen. After a tummy tuck, the body should be given time to rest and recover. Since the procedure aims to flatten and tone the abdomen, patients are typically anxious to start exercising in order to maintain their new figure. However, the results of the procedure can be affected if you exercise too early or if you do it too much. During your consultation with Dr. Wallach, post-procedure instructions will be provided to help optimize results of your tummy tuck. Here are some of the common instructions provided to patients regarding exercise after an abdominoplasty.
- Start walking three weeks after surgery. Put on your abdominal binder and begin with light walking. A heart rate monitor would be handy during your walks. You want your heart rate to be less than 135. The healing process can be affected with an increased heart rate.
- By week four, you can cover more distance. If you started with 20 minutes on the third week, you can walk for 30 minutes during the fourth week. Do not forget to wear your abdominal binder and use your heart rate monitor.
- Five weeks after surgery, you can go a notch higher. Choose workouts that are more intense but have low impact. Cardio exercises, such as elliptical machines, are good options.
- During the sixth week, you can return to your usual exercise routine. However, high-impact exercises have to be avoided. Even if you have stopped using your abdominal binder, continue wearing it during exercises.
- Running and other higher impact routines can be done eight weeks after abdominoplasty. This is also the time to start light weight training. At this point, your core muscles are still healing so do not focus on them.
- Normal activities can be resumed three months after the procedure. You can perform abdominal exercises as well as routines that focus on your core muscles by this time.
For more information on tummy tuck and how to maintain your new body after surgery, request an appointment with Dr. Wallach today by calling 212-861-6400 or by filling out this appointment request form. You are just a step away from a firmer and well-toned abdomen. We look forward to your visit!